Sunday 11 May 2014

Iron Man Armor MK XVII #1

After years of collecting and building models I realized it is not only about military, there are unexplored fields yet, that can prove worthy spending my time & money on. Attending modeling shows helped me understanding that, where I could see the splendor & variety of subjects across different scales. At the beginning of my hobby I tried building anything, years later my field of interests narrowed to Second World War, and now, for a change, I will be trying my skills building large scale models such as Iron Man and Thor (which I also have acquired), and if possible - all the Avengers.


Some examples of already built kits I've seen at modeling shows:


 
Model of Tony Stark's Heartbreaker armor, MK XVII, comes from Dragon in 1:9 scale. Bought it at Cosford Model show this year for quite affordable price - 32 GBP, other kits cost 35 - 40, Man of Steel is even more expensive up to 50 GBP! Box contains 5 grey plastic runners, one vinyl & one clear. It is my first model of such impressive size, by the look of it, excluding the base, it may be 10 - 12 inches high. Doing the research, I watched all Iron Man movies, including The Avengers Assemble. Heaertbreaker armor is featured in third movie, takes part in rather spectacular battle against "Mandarin" including all other Iron Man suits. Watching the movies again was great fun, every time even better than the last.

Before starting the build I closely studied the frames with parts and instructions, decided about colors to be used - Tamiya X7 Red (XF7 Flat Red as basecoat), X31 Titan Gold, X32 Titanium Silver and if required X11 Chrome silver. I do not plan to do much of the weathering, as this model would feature the suit before major action. One full jar of XF7 was used to airbrush the basecoat on parts still in sprues. Dragon done rather good job here, as majority of components are joined to the frames at places that will not be visible after assembly, hence I could take the opportunity to apply undercoat without cutting out any parts. The build will be broken down to subassemblies, to ease masking off required areas avoiding any overspray. Parts are being divided now to 2 groups, one to be airbrushed with main color, Tamiya X7 Red, second group to be painted with X31 Titanium Gold. First step of the assembly is building the skeleton, which as it turns out, will not be visible at all, hence does not have to be undercoated (could have saved some paint though...).  

No comments:

Post a Comment