Sunday 4 November 2012

Sdkfz 7/1 # 4 / Chassis & details /

I bet everyone is familiar with saying: "the devil is in details", needless to say - it's true! Don't know if "he" starts poking fingers into not only mine, but everybody's work when it needs to be done quickly and well, but I have this sort of strange feeling sometimes he does. The more I try, the less I make or build and then, I think, is a good time for break, or some other activity, options are many, in fact, always more than time. 


Getting back to my model, chassis details, or what I have just  added up, took me extremely long time for such simple set of components. Cable reel (33), towing cable, it's support and rear section of exhaust system (28) is assembled. I was confused again by assembly drawings, also text explaining the build is very simple, gives only pointers what is what or where, as cable reel unit is pictured in wrong place, in front of frame's back plate, what is totally out of question. It needs to be placed on top of panels (24g), or to be exact, upon their raised section. If not for reference I would be totally lost how it supposed to be built, some part numbers are missing again, so if making this model - better use assembly drawing from previous post. Moreover, those 2 panels (if following the design), are to be fixed in wrong place. Section between them is to house exhaust drum connecting all pipes together. I had to move the panels (24g) apart by at least 1,5 mm - 2 mm for the diameter of exhaust drum is too great. It does not seem to cause any problems for now at least, but I cannot see if anything is gong to block or be blocked by changed location. Will see. 

Exhaust pipe is made out of 2 mm electrical wire sleeve (first I took out original wire from inside the sleeve, then reapplied smaller diameter wire to keep the sleeve in required and permanent shape). At the begging I was about to use 3 mm one as manual suggested (2 - 3 mm), but it seemed to be too big to fit in designed spaces (again) and I decided not to change anything on main frame (e.g. hole in back plate for curved end of exhaust pipe would have to be larger) and find more applicable diameter cable. Luckily enough, friendly electrician knowing my passion gave me lengths of different cables, which are perfect for my little, scale needs. Instruction does not mention anything about towing cable, it's on the drawings but nothing about length or size. In my bits box I found piece of cord, gave it dark gray color by drowning it in small glass with very watered down paint, rolled it on reel (with one end glued on) and set it through hole in back plate. That is basically everything of  rear suspension section, gear box with engine and back plate details are next.

No comments:

Post a Comment