Saturday 18 May 2013

The Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen #1 / Fokker Dr I /


After rather long time spent on cutting & folding paper time has come to change modeling medium to plastic, at least for a while. This time the subject is Fokker Dr. I, triplane of most famous pilot to date - Manfred von Richthofen also known as The Red Baron. He was flying predominantly red machine, painted this way according to his wish to ignite fear among enemy pilots, what won him a "celebrity" status. He died in unclear circumstances scoring 80 victories. 



The Kit comes from Revell, the scale is 1:28. When building this model I had an opportunity to try out airbrushing, painting quite large surfaces with my old paintbrush would probably take days. I used old Citadel paints, first coat of Red Gore with final coat of Blood Red over pure white undercoat to keep the model bright. Assembly was not difficult, but the kit (copyrights go way back to 1957 - so it says on inside of the fuselage panels) is a vintage one, detailing and casting of plastic is far off today's standards, what made me scraping off mould and flash lines extensively. I had little problem with wing stretching wires present in all bi-planes of World War I. I used very small diameter wire which seemed quite good idea, when came down to assembly I could not stretch the wire enough so it has little slack.













1 comment:

  1. Beautiful job! And that's my favorite picture of him. makes him more human.

    ReplyDelete