Sunday 17 March 2013

Sdkfz 7/1 #11 / Cargo Bed Flaps /


My little struggle with cargo bed flaps finally ended and assembly of Sdkfz 7 half track with it. There was not much to do this time, it's just lack of inspiration or will strong enough to get on it and carry on - the fewer details left the longer it takes. Typical. Kit provides an opportunity to make flaps working. I could not resist but to follow... 


Long flaps have 6 "u" shaped supports, rear flap only has only 4. All flaps can be lowered and raised. To make everything working smoothly all axle holes had to be in right places to fit the axle. According to kit instructions a support is to be folded and (u) shaped up. I cut out it's outer panels away, mad a "u" section first (colour inside) and then applied outer panels back again, being careful to keep both holes in line. Axles and sockets came next, flaps were "hinged" (cut down sections of wire sleeve were used as nuts to prevent axles from falling out) and attached to cargo bed. When all in place small locking hooks and loops were added. 


Rear flap has got 2 ladders/supports which can be pulled out or pushed back in. Unfortunately, after quite a time spent making hinges (both ladders used to work), a single drop of super glue literally sealed fate of one of them and I decided to keep both in locked position all the time and save myself some fuss with pushing locking pins back in place.






I do have in my collection already built AA gun, Flak 38. I could not resist and tried it with sdkfz 7/1 to get closer picture of final result. Gun for this model is 4 barrelled version of Flak 38, called Flakvierling. It's construction is different to Flak 38, hence deservers building report on it's own (as well as Flak 38). Also I have in my collection twin model to this one - Sdkfz 7/2 which has different gun yet, who knows maybe it will end up with this vehicle?





No comments:

Post a Comment