Sunday 28 April 2013

Flakvierling #2 / Guns & Details /


After few weeks full of trips, many interesting objects seen (and photographed), with couple hobby related events I finally got back to modeling Flakvierling. Research I've done for this build shows many variations between certain components of this gun, that is why I picked the most relevant reference, and  according to it, I tried my skill and made some improvements where was it possible.

Crew seats were shaped up, spaces in seats were surgically cut out, paper rolled supports were replaced with wire & painted. Rear gunner seat support was slightly rebuilt. Scope was scratch built, as one provided by the kit seemed too simple. Many archive photos show different kind of scope than I built, but I based mine on this picture, it was the best view of the scope I could find. That was a chance for little improvisation that turned out at least fine. Other details like knobs, rivets and handles were also prepared, not all applied yet for safety reasons, some are yet to come. 


Gun barrels were the next job, the longest taking also. Number of small parts for each of four guns put me off for some time, but when I finally got to it, all went quite well. Size is an issue here, especially when so many tubes are involved. Rolled card tends to split when components are small, splitting two layers changes dimensions and weakens the part. Super glue is the only solution here, and it's careful application. Guns were mounted upon the plates with pins, that were inserted into the body allowing the rotation of the plates and elevation of guns.



No comments:

Post a Comment