Thursday 5 April 2012

Sdkfz 124 Wespe #1

For next project I picked up paper model of Sdkfz 124 Wespe from GPM, self propelled artillery in 1:25 scale. It is based upon Pzkpfw II chasis, which in French campaign proved to be not capable enough to compete with modern enemy units. It's qualities were appreciated though and vehicle stayed in service as support unit and artillery. 



Specifications

Weight 11 tonnes (24,250 lb)
Length 4.81 m (15 ft 9 in)
Width 2.28 m (7 ft 6 in)
Height 2.3 m (7 ft 7 in)
Crew 5 (commander, driver, three gunners)

Armor 5 - 30 mm (.19 - 1.18 in)
Main armament 1x 10.5 cm leFH 18M L/28 with 40 rounds
Engine 6-cyl petrol Maybach HL62TR 140 hp (105 kW)
Power/weight 12.7 hp/tonne
Suspension leaf spring
Operational range 220 km (137 mi)
Speed 40 km/h (25 mph)


As usual I have started the build from the most time consuming and most, at least for me, boring part of the whole model - wheels. For now main wheels are done, but still require some detailing - front wheel cap and back support/connecting rod. 

Front cap is actually done, all I need to do now is to cut it out. I tried new way of dealing with many and small parts at once, in fixed position and with no mess and problems: main part has been left on small piece of paper grouped together, as picture shows, top layer has been glued in and fitted in right position to imitate screw sockets. Diameter of the cap is around 5 - 6mm, what is not easy to handle when fixing both parts cut out first. 

It is my first model from GPM, I have quite few of them in my possession though (in future, maybe not that distant plans: Pzkpfw III, Pzkpfw IV, Wirbelwind (flak gun mounted upon Panzer IV chasis), NeubarFarzeug (german prototype heavy multi turret tank), two bombers from Battle for Britain period - Heinkel 111 and Dornier 17). After putting few Modelik's together I got used to certain standard, but it's something different so I think is worth trying - subject is very interesting and quite uncommon for paper modeling after all. I have also decided to use laser cut tracks, to save some time and make model more interesting (I will stay with single pieces traction on larger models).




No comments:

Post a Comment