Friday 19 October 2012

Trip to RAF Cosford

Having some spare time I took another trip to nearby based RAF Museum in Cosford. 20 miles done with no problem and no delay - quick & easy, only parking to be paid and that's all the cost. Friday morning was not bad choice at all, two coach parties of pupils and few adult visitors - perfect. Before kids appeared in the area where all War Planes are, I took closer look at few shown below:


















It was hard to photo any plane as a whole, limited walking paths and other exhibits in way made that impossible. I had to stay on the lowest viewing platform: floor.

Spitfire, Hurricane, Mustang, Me 410, Storch, Lincoln bomber, Me 163, DH Mosquito and couple of Japanese, light bomber/reconnaissance plane and a fighter. Many of them are in my future plans, already have Spitfire and Hurricane to build, Me 163 would be a treat (on "to get" list), especially if spare plastic cockpit I have may be reused, originally attached to other Me, built back in 1998, cockpit is only what left. To complete RAF most famous I've got to build DH Mosquito, Maly Modelarz Edition, it will be a second approach, and finally, lately acquired Halifax Bomber. Storch and Me 410 are a bit different story, as I am still hunting for them, Storch by GPM, Me 410 from Maly Modelarz or any other kit.

Main Hangar of the Museum is about Cold War experience. Huge, monstrous beasts are hung in air above visitor heads, exposing bomb sections and very much feared bombs. Great feature are information booths, showing most important and key moments in history of Cold War, it's atomic consequence, Cosmic Race and other World Conflicts on screen, in form of news flash, talking heads, or historical films. Behind glass are placed exhibits of social value from CW era - newspapers, Olympic reports (West meets East), items of everyday use, records, games. 

Last hangar on my way was a very quiet place, full of engines, rockets, flying bombs and civilian aircrafts. First time visiting I missed this one, main exit and gift shop are placed in CW hangar. Second time I was very much surprised when I discovered Junkers Ju-52 ("Auntie Ju", this one worked for BA) there. Made model twice, both gone. Third time a charm, so they say... I took as many pictures as I could from my very limited point of view. 




Between first hangar with "Test Flights" and "War Planes" hangar are two sections, one displaying 1:1 replica of British home in times of WW2, and other - models of planes, where I became The Japanese Tourist. Snap, snap snap, and I have them all. Or at least majority.








No comments:

Post a Comment