Sunday 3 June 2012

Sturmgeschutz IV #2

 

I think most difficult part of that model is behind me. I had no problems covering carcass of superstructure, all parts were in right shape and size. Quite important thing to remember about carcass while making paper models is carcass is to be fitted to outer covers not covers to carcass. Sanding is necessary  in any case and leaves carcass smooth with no surface imperfections visible after covering (e.g. if a thicker spot of glue is left on surface it will create a visible bump or if too long edges on joints are left out may cause raised areas and general smoothness disturbance) . Having superstructure done I started works on suspension. Leaf spring are done and painted. There are 11 parts for one spring unit,  made out of different length strips.




I also started applying imitations of bolt and nuts, picture to the right shows first try which worked out well enough to carry on with this idea. I hope to apply it all over the model. First I tried diamond shape stickers, but that turned out to be in inadequate size (0,5mm too large, still can be used as larger screws, very easy to use, peel off the sheet and apply). After quite long search for appropriate stuff and way of dealing with it, I finally got right material. Luckily for Stug I don't need too many, I think around 200 - 300. I made it out of length of soft plastic cord 1 mm in diameter, cut down (by hand so far) to discs of approx 0.5 mm thickness. To avoid mess with paint in unwanted areas, cord was painted before cutting (cord is blue, so there is no color match to the model) what worked out quite well, leaving me only top to paint. 

I also happen to play some games in Second World War mood on modeling breaks, last one I finished is rather old title, released back in the 90's. It's Commandos Behind Enemy Lines . I played it years ago, but never finished. I found it released lately as an Anthology of all Commandos games, so I undertook a challenge once more. Was not a bit disappointed. Some missions gave me real heading, but also satisfaction after completion. Commandos is tactical /strategy game with some action and thrill. Small group of specially trained people are under players command, each being able to succeed in different tasks. There is Green Beret, muscle man, main "killing machine", Explosives expert with grenades and traps, Driver, Diver, Spy with his ability to distract guards and Sniper. Graphics is no great for today's standards, but still looks good even after that time. Game is not easy, but still very much enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment