Sunday 10 June 2012

Sturmgeschutz IV #3

Main and the largest in quantity part of suspension is mostly done. 32 road wheels, 5 parts each made me feeling like working in circles. Assembly required a lot of patience, but I applied mass production procedures (which are necessary for models like that and bigger e.g. ships, I just have to say I admire ship builders because of number and size of components). All parts have been cut out first and everything here is numbered with sense with manual giving proper image of what to do and in what order.




Spring equalizers and road wheel trolleys are ready as well, 5 components for one trolley, that includes already made leaf spring unit (first the spring equalizer was assembled, then painted in visible areas, next came angled plate glued to the bottom). Having method of modeling rivets sorted out I finally was able to apply it to my model, what I think improves overall look, maybe not exactly yet, but comparing to Hummel's standard this already looks much better. Moreover, rivets may be another step in direction of using airbrush and painting whole models. Airbrushing may save a lot of time spent usually on careful covering edges with not exactly matching colors, instead one color can be applied for whole model, leaving out necessity (and time) of edging. 

Neither trolleys nor wheels are fixed together yet for alignment purposes as I have to bear in mind wider tracks and possibly wider sprocket. After all road wheels are doubled (so far only singles done) I can start making  stretching wheels, supporting wheels and sprockets. Tracks have to be prepared as well. Laser cut outs are made out of 1mm thick card. This material may not require but it helps when varnish is applied on. Varnish protects the tracks and allows for better painting. Wespe's tracks were not bad, but color did not turn out as I expected, I tried to use miniature painting techniques and using paintbrush. At least after having first one done I know in what direction to go and where to improve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment