Sunday 1 July 2012

Sturmgeshutz IV #4

After long time spent on making and cutting circles I feel I am almost there. Sprockets, spring equalizers with trolleys, return rollers, stretching wheels and road wheels are ready.
Stretching wheel though does not seem to be designed in right way if comparing against historical materials, but for quite simplified model like that it does not really matter. I also tried to apply rivets wherever applicable, and am quite glad how it looks and gives certain character to otherwise dull superstructure of model made in standard.



Assembly of bigger wheels required thickening all discs with 1mm card, and after cut out all required areas. Cutting inner areas manually always leaves angled edge. Parts of this sort required both sides to be in one color, so mirror disc of identical thickness is to be cut out. Putting them back to back leaves grove on the edge which is great for filling with super glue and then sanded down to smoother surface. 

Having all parts made together I started preparing tracks. Tracks are supplied by GPM. I was aware it may not fit to Modelik's design but availability and possible time I can save convinced me to try. To apply those tracks to Stug (and to other models based upon Pzkpfw IV chassis from Modelik), all I had to do is to increase width of sprocket by 1mm (originally it has 8mm gap between discs).

Tracks come cut out of 1mm thick white card, with all details already engraved. Before cut outs can be used, at least couple layers ofvarnish should be applied. Varnish in spray is working quite well despite it's smell so mask is advised. After varnish dried out spray of chaos black follows.

Cut out tracks give better overall look for the model but cost almost as much. Time factor should not be forgotten, especially when making single tracks provided by the manufacturer. I did single tracks for Hummel (cutting + carving + folding +assembling) and both sides, around 200 links, took me about a week. Outcome was not great, can be seen on Quick View gallery). Considering time and price to overall effect - laser cut outs definitely win. Moreover I know now GPM's are easily applicable to other Modelik's models.

Regardless building Stug IV, I am considering my next paper and plastic projects. In 1:35 scale I was planning to get one of my BMW R75s done with small diorama based in Normandy or Eastern Front. For paper project I think I am going to pick recently acquired Sdkfz 7/1 with mounted Flak 38 (4 barrels) from Halinski. I am currently gathering materials and data about this unit. Vehicle itself is improved version of very popular armor tractor - Sdkfz 6, which was used to pull famous Flak 36/37 (also in collection).

No comments:

Post a Comment