Saturday 10 March 2012

Sdkfz 234/2 Puma #3

Assembly of first suspension unit took some time but finally I managed to make it. Every part is made out of 3 or more smaller parts or card reinforcements. In that quantity, even with 8 units to do, it makes building process long, even boring at some point - patience is a real friend here as well as small change of subject like a good book, movie or a game from time to time.




Subunit, part number 30 - 30n (wheel drum holders with the thin pin in the middle) and part 31 - 31f (wheel drum with white wheel pin) is made out of quite few separate parts, but after putting everything together construction seems firm and tight. I did not notice any problems or design issues, all was OK here. There was some fitting involved of part 31d (wheel drum with white wheel holding pin ), but better make it easy while I can than struggle later.

Problem with rolled parts lies in rolling process, or maybe rather it's difficulty. Outcome depends on what diameter paper is being rolled on and what width rolled tube has to have. In most cases rolled tubes this way are supposed to have certain diameter to fit to "cover caps" or holes. Using glue is necessary but makes rolled tubes thicker, even if very thin layer of glue is applied. Trying new ways I have started rolling on the designed diameter (e.g. using sized drill to suit desired thickens) without glue. Well, mostly. Glue is applied but only in 2 spots - when it just closes with the inside end, and to close it up with other end on the outside. 

It gets me one step closer to finishing this kitten. I have just noticed it is 3rd model I have in my collection in markings and painting from Eastern front. First is Sdkfz 165 Hummel, self propelled assault gun and first model I built after my long break, second is Puma and third is Sdkfz 250/1 alt, half track (which I have built in the past, wasn't the best one, but I resupplied myself with the second copy and soon will start making it, how soon - I do not know yet;]). All three are from the same publisher MODELIK and will make nice group of models from one campaign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment