Saturday 17 March 2012

Sdkfz 234/2 Puma #5 /Update /



At last suspension is finished.  It will stay without wheels on until the final stage of assembly. Model with wheels on would be too bulky and heavy to handle, moreover rotating wheels on paper axis might cause damage.


Assembly of suspension was quite interesting, completed within 3 stages - main wheel supports and axis, spring unit and details. All of those subparts assembled together look pretty well I think, despite I was not able to keep standard color of springs - thickened with card it had white edges not suitable to leave out without painting but none of my paints matched graphite color of print so I painted whole spring. Spring holding brackets were kept in standard color what makes these details visible. 

Model has only 8 wheels, 8 main supports, 4 spring units. It is not as many as Pzkpfw IV (mid weight tank, one of the most commonly used by German army during WW2), which has 16 double wheels, 2 traction wheels and 2 stretching wheels. Low number in case of Puma did not really made it quick or easy work. There was a lot of fitting and balancing to keep subparts in straight line or in proper position.

Overall look of Puma is so far satisfying, there was no major problems within suspension design or assembly. All parts and subparts fit properly and without any adjustments. I wonder if other parts of that model will be designed so well. Will see soon, as now I am starting works on side armor and side panels of the vehicle. Having suspension done and wheels behind it is pure joy to start details of the hull and slowly getting to make the best part of every heavy armored vehicle - turret with whole interior and miniature of cannons mechanism.

Update : 
I don't think I am to build any Sdkfz 234/xxx in nearest future (I still have my second original kit though, so who knows?;]) so I post these pictures in here as an update. It's showing different vehicle, but upon the same suspension - Sd Kfz 234/3 Schwerer Panzerspähwagen from Bovington Tank Museum.



No comments:

Post a Comment